Wednesday, September 26, 2012

My First Week

So my first week is coming to an end and there are a few things to report. Actually already on the first day I went to the beach. The beach I went to is one of the many thousand around here, but it's the closest, being only a 3 minute walk from where I live. It's not really good for swimming, since the waves are quite big, but since I enjoy watching people surf more than swimming myself that's no problem. Here are some pictures from that beach:
the view to the south

it's really windy at the beach

the view to the north
On Saturday we went to Mooloolaba (weird name, right?) and went to the beach there. It was really nice, because it had a mix of sand and rock beach and had tidle pools. Here are some pictures from that beach:
this is a really weird kind of bird that walks around everywhere

the Watts family



Jed looking for crabs in the tidle pool (there actually were a lot of crabs)


on my way to the edge to get a cool picture 

cool picture number 1

cool picture number 2

 
On Sunday I went to the church near by (about a 10-15 minute drive) and it was really cool. After the morning service we went to the beach in Cotton Tree. And for lunch we had fish and chips. The first time I've ever eaten it, so of course I had to take pictures :)
This was after we had finished, so the fish is already gone, however we couldn't finish the chips. One thing that was cool about the meal was that you are supposed to eat with your hands, a thing that I haven't been able to do often, since it's not really culturally accepted in germany, where people even eat pizza with a fork and knife :D
 
At 5 I went to the church again for a free meal and the evening service. (Guess what there was to eat: fish and chips!). The evening service was also really great. The people at the church are really friendly and one young woman invited me to go to coffee with her, her husband and another young woman. I of course accepted and it turned out that it's kind of an unofficial meet-up place for the young adults and youth after the evening service. It's a cafe in Mooloolaba and there's quite a bit of seating outside. Anyways I had a great time hanging out with them all and this upcoming weekend I'll be going on a young adults retreat at the beach, which should be really cool :D
I also hope that it will be warm enough for actual swimming, for even though I have already been at four beaches, I haven't gone farther in than up to my knees, since it isn't quite warm enough to go swimming.
 
Today I had my first "work day". It wasn't really a day, and it was only really the beginning. The real work starts once the office is opened on the 1st of October. Right now it's home office and rather chilled. But I did get some stuff done. My main job for the next time will be organising, since with the opening of an office a lot of that kind of work has to be done. But they said (or better said, Dan (Mr. Watts), the person who I'll be working together with the most) that I won't have to do organising the whole day, so that my brain cells don't totally die off ;)
But I don't mind work like that too much so that's no problem.
 
All in all I am doing well. Adjusting to everything here is hard, but I'm doing better every day.
 
Greetings from Down-Under,
Susan DeTroy
 
 
P.S.(Any comments, tipps, etc about the blog are appreciated :D )


 

No comments:

Post a Comment